For the heck of it

Saturday, June 09, 2007

Great Food in Taiwan!

Taipei is well known for its hospitality. It's a heaven for food lovers. I am a food lover, too. While there's a huge variety of food and cuisine available in most hotels, restaurants or food stalls in Taipei, I have an advice for visitors from the Middle East - especially Muslims.

According to Islam, it is forbidden to eat pork. However, in most restaurants, hotels and food stalls, you will definitely find pork on the menu. While most hotels and restaurants mark dishes made using pork separately, you might not find such classification at most night markets, food stalls and local restaurants. So it is better to ask the restaurant managers or those selling food at the food stalls to let you know about those entries on the menu that don't contain pork.

If you want to be on the safer side, you can always opt to dine at places such as McDonald's and KFC. Believe me - there's an McD on every corner of the street! By the way, if you do choose to eat at McD, I suggest you try the chicken burger which is made using burger buns made out of boiled rice! Take a look at the picture below - it looks something like this:


I tried it, and I can give it an 8 out of 10! It was yummy. The rice in Taiwan becomes sticky, whne boiled, and so it's easier to make burger buns out of it. Yesterday in the evening, I went to the Raohe St. Night Market - which is just 10 minutes drive from Rebar City Crown Hotel. As soon as I entered the market, I could smell stinky tofu everywhere!!


The street was filled with small food stalls selling everything from tofus, fried chicken, beef and pork stew, to Chinese meat balls, ice-creams, and so on. There were also a few dishes, which I can't really explain - looked like fried duck neck with the head and the beak intact to me. Needless to say, I avoided eating from those stalls.

While roaming around the night market, I faintly heard something, which sounded like a Hindi song. I immediately walked towards the sound and the next thing I know was that I was standing in front of an Indian restaurant, which was run by a Pakistani guy. Don't believe me? here's the menu:


I ordered a Chicken Curry dish - which came with chicken curry, rice, naan, soup, salad and a drink. The price - NTD350 - is a bit on the higher side, and the food tasted OK. Here's what it looked like:

4 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home